When speaking about Japanese food, the first thing that appears in mind is possibly sushi. Its popularity isn’t astonishing at all. Sushi is healthy, tasty, and cheap.
But in spite of its popularity, it seems that the majority of individuals don’t consume sushi the correct way, according to the owner of the renowned Nobu restaurants, chef Nobuyuki Matsuhisa.
He says individuals ought not to put soy sauce on sushi’s rice side or mix wasabi into the sauce. Instead, one ought to put just a little bit of soy sauce on the sushi’s fish side and utilize the chopsticks to put a little of wasabi onto the center of the fish.
Knowing the correct way of consuming sushi can really elevate the dining experience. Moreover, Japanese sushi chefs spend a lot of years learning and mastering the art of sushi making. Isn’t it just right that we apply a little sushi etiquette and show them the admiration they really deserve for all the effort they put into the making?
Here Are A Few Basic Guidelines To Keep In Mind When Consuming Sushi:
- Make use of the wet towel on the table to clean your fingers and hands. Do not utilize it for the face! In Japan, the traditional way of consuming sushi (nigiri and maki sushi) is by utilizing the fingers, not chopsticks.
- Pour a little soy sauce into the sauce bowl. Wasting soy sauce is a big no-no. Besides, sushi chefs prefer you utilize as little soy sauce as possible.
- As stated earlier, do not put wasabi in the soy sauce. Instead, put just a bit of it onto the center of the sushi utilizing chopsticks.
- When you are done consuming, place the chopsticks on the holder placed beside the plate, parallel to your table.
- Do not put a lot of wasabi on the sushi. There is already a little amount of wasabi in every piece. Appending too much of it will hide the natural taste of the fish, and at the same time, chefs might locate it offensive. It is akin to putting ketchup all over the dish.
- Make use of the fresh ginger to cleanse the palate after a bite of the sushi. Do not utilize it as a topping.
How To Consume Sushi?
The traditional way of consuming sushi is, in fact, using the fingers. You lift a piece of sushi between the thumb and middle finger. Not just will you make certain the rice and fish are kept together but also, but it allows you to feel its texture.
Yes, these days, individuals make use of chopsticks for consuming sushi, and it is perfectly fine. Sometimes the sushi that’s served in restaurants is Nigiri sushi.
When consuming it, turn every piece upside down in the counterclockwise direction and lightly dip sushi’s fish side into the little bowl of soy sauce.
For the sushi that comes with unagi, as well as those that already have sauce, do not dip them in the sauce. And finally, when placing the piece in the mouth, make certain the fish side is against the tongue so you can taste the complex flavors correctly.