Being on the keto diet can be difficult enough for individuals accustomed to a high-carb diet! When dining outcomes into the picture, it becomes even more challenging to follow the high-fat, low-carb diet.
There is also the matter of the majority of restaurants either being misinformed or dismissive about the keto diet, and the challenge carries on. Then again, there is no point in skipping dinners with your friends and family just because you are on a keto diet! You can keep such two fairly simple-to-follow rules when dining out.
Skip The Foods With High-Carb Value:
This rule is the keto no-brainer because being on the keto diet denotes keeping the carbs intake as low as doable, nutritionally speaking. You’ll likely find it hard to resist the enticement since the majority of restaurants offer carb-rich desserts and dishes. But if you desire to stick to the keto diet, you ought to avoid such food items.
- Grains like millet, rice, couscous, and barley
- French fries and other potato-based dishes
- Sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions, among other side dishes prepared using root vegetables (eat radish and fennel instead)
- Noodles comprising soba and whole-grain noodles
- Breads, pastries, cookies, and cakes
- Chips and tortillas (but you can have guacamole with salad and maybe some celery with it)
- Sweet sauces comprising ketchup (Cream-based sauces and gravy ought to be okay)
You might be so tempted to consume one of such carb-rich foods that you’ll eventually do that. Do not beat yourself up about that because a single bite of, say, a cookie should not put the body out of whack.
Enjoy The Protein- And Fat-Rich Foods:
You’ll desire to have protein- and fat-rich foods, however, since such are highly suggested on a keto diet. But consume them in moderation, too, since a surplus of them will affect the ketosis of your body. Some examples of the keto-appropriate foods that you can get at a restaurant are:
- Meats such as chicken breasts and steaks are exceptional choices. Simply skip the sweet sauce and other inappropriate foods on a keto diet.
- Eggs are excellent choices, too, because you can have eggs in dozens of ways.
- Cured meat appetizers and cheese ought to be an excellent start to the keto diet in a restaurant.
- Seafood comprising mussels, shrimp, squid, and crab as well as fish is permitted. Plus, you’ll get healthy omega-3 fatty acids from such foods.
- Vegetables are usually permitted on a keto diet but skip the starchy ones, like sweet potatoes and potatoes. You can also get salads but do not add the dressing.
If you desire less temptation to have carb-rich foods, you ought to contemplate eating out at buffet restaurants such as the Golden Corral. You can select food items based on the keto preferences from the buffet range, particularly since there are a lot of keto-suitable dishes.
The choices usually comprise roast turkey, grilled fish, and steamed vegetables. You ought to eat out at restaurants every so often, even when you are on a keto diet. Life is really short to stay away from your friends and family just because you have diverse lifestyle preferences.